Thursday, January 20, 2011

Some Updates!

Finally, after finals and holidays the dust has settled and I can update my blog! So a few things have changed over the past weeks.

I decided to try feeding chopped up silversides to my anemones and they seem to be liking it a lot better than the mysis. I try and keep the anemones on the same feeding schedule as before, every other day (Monday, Wednesday and Friday). I also have seemed to have found the eating capacity of each anemone according to the size of the animal and the size of the silverside piece. If you give too many pieces the anemone will spit everything out and then you wasted food and energy on the anemone side of things.

I also have done some fragging of my toadstool leather that I bought just for fragging. It has been some months now and so the mother colony is doing great and already grown back to precutting size, if not larger. I lost 1 frag but was able to keep 3 frags which I glued to some rubble rock and they are growing nicely, ready for sale.


Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket


I just used some toothpicks and stabbed the little pieces into some sand/rubble rock so they would attach. I do this with xenia aswell so I can glue the rock and not the flesh of the animal, this seems to reduce lost frags.

I also lost one of the anemones in the garage tank for no apparent reason, it was one of the smaller of the RBTA's. I am down to four now. I have no idea what happened to this anemone since the others are doing just fine. It is frustrating when something like this happens.

I happened upon a "blue" carpet anemone at a LFS and bought it. It was extremely bleached out with barely any coloration. I would not recommend buying bleached anemones unless you know you can take care of it. I believe it is a Haddons carpet but I am still unsure of what species it is. It has no verrucae as far as I can tell except for a few very randomly placed and quite small verrucae along the upper region of the column. Also the tentacles do not vibrate like the Gigantea carpets. If anyone knows the species for this anemone please let me know by posting a comment.
The carpet eats like a hog and by far has the healthiest appetite of all the anemones I have, which it should due to the lack of zooxanthellae in its tissues. It will eat 3-4 chunks of silversides in one sitting and will not reject the food. It has grown in size and is really starting to color up since the purchase. I am unsure of the color of the anemone since it looks purple sometimes and then looks blue other times, we will have to see. Another interesting observation is that when I purchased the anemone the column was white but now the column has taken on a green tint and I am not sure what that means but I assume it is a good sign.


Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

I will not be aquaculturing this anemone, I just wanted to show it off. :)

Stay tuned for some more updates!

Ian

No comments: